Re: Multi Threaded Server Question ?????

From: <tdrudy_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/01/23

Tim Vannaman wrote:

> > I have now been told that this should be switched on for
> > a system with 13 concurrent Oracle sessions, performing lots
> > of inserts.
> >
> > Now that I have been contradicted, I would appreciate any
> > comments or expert advice on the use of MTS.
>
> My philosophy of using MTS is when you are running out (or close to)
> system resources such
> the number of processes or memory. If you have alot of users, you
> should save alot of memory by not having all the dedicated server
> processes eating it up, not to mention using mips that another process
> could use.
>
> Tim.

Respectfully, I'm not sure a one-size-fits-all answer is the best one. We use a loaded Sun server running Solaris 2.5.1 (lots of primary and secondary storage) and are also running Oracle's Webserver. We normally have a moderate number of (10-30) concurrent users logged on, and we are running the distributed option. The server is largely dedicated to Oracle. Pls compare that with a university Sun server with which I am familiar which generally has same parameters as ours but about 100-200 concurrent Oracle users, though many more may be logged into the server but not using Oracle.
I believe that running MTS assists either case, but so much is dependent on the number of updates per minute/second that I'm not sure you can have a meaningful answer without accounting for the transactions per second (or minute or whatever).

                        Tom Received on Thu Jan 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CST