Any Suggestions On Disk Space Allocation for Oracle DB

From: Joel Garry <Joel.Garry_at_pebble.org>
Date: 1997/01/02

 MQ> From: Mirwais Qader <mq_at_wohl.slh.wisc.edu>

 MQ> Our System info: Oracle 7.2.2.4
 MQ>    HP-UX 9.04 on HP9000
 MQ>    256MB RAM; 5.9GB HD [3-1.3GB and 1-2.0GB disks]
 MQ>    currently 1 controller; getting another one

 MQ> Current disk "map": [using an OFA structure]  MQ> How would someone recommend we do this?

 MQ> 1) should we (I think) move the software into a /software directory?
 MQ>  i.e., /software/SAS,  /software/oracle,
 MQ>        /software/inhouse,  /software/other...
 MQ>
 MQ>  (stupid question: if we do it like above, does the
 MQ>     oracle "user" home directory have
 MQ>     to be changed to /software/oracle
 MQ>     or can we keep it /users/oracle?)

You might want to take a hint from hp-ux V10 and put it under /opt. Home can be whereever your heart is.

 MQ> 2) should we continue to use the Logical Volume Manager to control our
 MQ>    disk space management or get away from it because individual disks
 MQ>    cannot be identified?  Currently, our sys-admin is unable to tell
 MQ>    which disk a particular volume contains and with 2 controllers, he
 MQ>    may not be able to properly distribute the files amongst them.

Doesn't SAM give you the option? You might want to do an Alta Vista search looking for all the arguments about raw devices. During that discussion, several people flamed me privately with the argument that LVM makes the old argument that someone might overwrite the raw devices moot. I think there must be a wide difference between LVM's.

 MQ> My own opinion is like this:

 MQ> *install oracle in /software/oracle
 MQ> *under this strucure/directory, mount /dev/dsk/1, /dev/dsk/2, /dev/dsk/3
 MQ> (for easy setup and maintenance) and setup software under the OFA
 MQ> structure.

Interesting thought, but I've seen admins get upset when confronted with devices mounted too far from /. You never know when you will get a new admin with his own ideas.

 MQ> *Have the files distributed between the 2 controllers:
 MQ>  ex. ctlr1 ->/dev/dsk/1 and 2 = core oracle files
 MQ>      ctlr2 ->/dev/dsk/3 and others = core other files; backup/mirror
 MQ>      image of stuff on ctlr1
 MQ> *remove /oracleDB and assign it to something else, like /=root,
 MQ> therefore,
 MQ>  being able to increase the size of /tmp if need be.

I must have missed something, as I don't see that /tmp is related to /OracleDB. You should probably make /tmp a link to a partition that has plenty of space. When you go to the gig db's you will need lots of room for rollbacks, too.

jg
(faster replies to email if sent to joelga_at_rossinc.com) Received on Thu Jan 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CST