Re: Running Batch Jobs in Oracle

From: Stephen R. Egesdahl <stephen.egesdahl_at_nike.com>
Date: 1996/12/20

Jeremy Wong wrote:

> I'm trying to get Oracle to automatically load data from ASCII files daily
> and I know SQL Loader will be able to do the loading part. My problem is
> with making this process automatic. I hear that there is a package called
> DBMS_JOB that I can use. I'm not familiar with how to use this. Can
> anyone help me?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy

Jeremy,
The job queue can be used to schedule package/procedures to be executed on an regular basis. If you look and the package source (DBA_SOURCE) for dbms_job it contains information on how to schedule a job. These jobs are handled by the SNP process.

I don't think you can schedule OS utilities like sqlldr from the internal job queue. If you are on UNIX you can use cron to schedule a script to run.

Stephen R. Egesdahl             Senior Oracle DBA/DA
Nike, Inc.                      fax  : (503)671-6300
One Bowerman Drive           mailstop: NRC-1
Beaverton, OR 97005
The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of Nike, Inc.