Re: Error with orainst

From: Manuela Juergens <manuela.juergens_at_Fernuni-Hagen.DE>
Date: 1996/12/18

Alysa Leve (aleve_at_nightmare.com) wrote:
: Daniel Pinyol wrote:
: >

: This is not true for Solaris. My guess is that you have a symbolic link
: in you ORACLE_HOME. Oracle does not support symbolic links in the
: ORACLE_HOME for this reason. What happens is this:

: You run the installer and you give it an ORACLE_HOME with a link in it.
: One of the installers actions is to check if you are doing a fresh
: install or just an some other type of administration. It does this by
: checking you pwd with orainst directory. If they are the same it just
: continues. If they are not it assumes you are doing an install and
: tries to copy the chkdrvrs and chkadptrs file from the pwd to
: ORACLE_HOME/orainst directory.

: Now you might be asking yourself, this should not matter because my
: ORACLE_HOME/orainst and pwd are the same so it will not try to copy
: these files.

: If you have a link, pwd returns a different value than
: ORACLE_HOME/orainst so it tries to copy these files on top of each other
: which some operating systems have a problem with.

: All this is done from the ORACLE_HOME/orainst/unix.stp file. Search
: through it for chkadptrs and you will see what I am talking about.

: Are you confused yet?

Yes I am confused but that doesn't matter. Because you're right, I have a link to my ORACLE_HOME. It was the idea of my system administrator (I don't know exactly why) but that seems to be the solution. We will change ist and try ist again.

Thank you very much

Manuela

Manuela Juergens 			| Email:
FernUniversitaet - Gesamthochschule  	| manuela.juergens_at_fernuni-hagen.de
Rechenzentrum 				| PGP-Fingerprint:
Abteilung Wissenschaftliche Anwendung	| 2C 44 4D BE 65 4D 9D 94 A6 BE 80 5C 09 BE 0E 29
58084 Hagen