Re: Error with orainst

From: Alysa Leve <aleve_at_nightmare.com>
Date: 1996/12/17

Daniel Pinyol wrote:

> Manuela Juergens wrote:
> >
> > My Problem: I installed Oracle some days ago for the first time. If I
> > call orainst /m again to create a database I get the error:
> >
> > Error during action 'Copy the Installers required files'.
> > Command: cp chkdrvrs chkadptrs /u01/app/oracle/product/7.3.2/orainst
> >
> > cp: chkdrvrs and /u01/app/oracle/product/7.3.2/orainst/chkdrvrs are identical
> > cp: chkadptrs and /u01/app/oracle/product/7.3.2/orainst/chkadptrs are identical
> >
> > My Platform: Unix/Solaris 2.5
> > Release: Oracle 7.3.2.2
> >
> > Does someone know what went wrong?
>
> You must not run orainst from $ORACLE_HOME/orainst , but from
> $ORACLE_HOME/oracle_link/orainst. Well, 'oracle_link' is how I called
> the
> directory where hundreds of directories with links to the CDROM are
> created. This was the first step. Do you remember? I don't know why you
> cannot run 'orainst' from the orainst
> directory. It's probably a bug.
>
> regards

> 4 Daniel Pinyol Laserna E-Mail: dpinol_at_cesca.es
> 44
> CCCC 4444 Centre de Computacio i Comunicacions de Catalunya (C4)
> CC C 4 Centre de Supercomputacio de Catalunya (CESCA)
> CC
> CC C Gran Capita, 2-4 (Ed. Nexus) Phone: (+34 3) 205 64 64
> CCC E-08034 Barcelona Fax: (+34 3) 205 69 79

This is not true for Solaris. My guess is that you have a symbolic link in you ORACLE_HOME. Oracle does not support symbolic links in the ORACLE_HOME for this reason. What happens is this:

You run the installer and you give it an ORACLE_HOME with a link in it. One of the installers actions is to check if you are doing a fresh install or just an some other type of administration. It does this by checking you pwd with orainst directory. If they are the same it just continues. If they are not it assumes you are doing an install and tries to copy the chkdrvrs and chkadptrs file from the pwd to ORACLE_HOME/orainst directory.

Now you might be asking yourself, this should not matter because my ORACLE_HOME/orainst and pwd are the same so it will not try to copy these files.

If you have a link, pwd returns a different value than ORACLE_HOME/orainst so it tries to copy these files on top of each other which some operating systems have a problem with.

All this is done from the ORACLE_HOME/orainst/unix.stp file. Search through it for chkadptrs and you will see what I am talking about.

Are you confused yet? Received on Tue Dec 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CST