Re: Is It Too Late to Set Character Set?

From: John Hough <q6y_at_ornl.gov>
Date: 1996/12/13

ghubert_at_acpub.duke.edu (Gene Hubert) wrote:
>I have created an Oracle 7.3 instance and db under Windows NT. I have
>run catalog.sql, catproc.sql, set up rollback segments and tablespaces
>and one user. I have not set up any user tables.
>
>My question: Is it too late to set the character set as follows...?
>
> update props$ set VALUE$ = 'WE8ISO8859P1'
> where NAME = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';
>
>I know I should have done it as soon as the database was created
>but would prefer not to do it over again.
>
>Thanks,
>
>gene hubert

Gene:

When I had to change my character set due to a problem in comunicating with a 4gl tool Oracle Support strongly reccomended that we go back and recreate the database from the beginning setting the character in the database creation. In either case I reccomend a cold backup and a full export before beginning. And if you do it your way and it doesn't work I wouldn't bother wasting a call to oracle support.

Good Luck,

John Hough

Why is there allways time to do it over, but never the time to do it right? -- Anonymous DBA Received on Fri Dec 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CST