Re: PRE_PAGE_SGA

From: Alan Burlison <alanburlison_at_unn.unisys.com>
Date: 1996/12/13

Michael Bethke wrote:
> is there anyone who can tell me something about the
> INIT.ORA-parameter PRE_PAGE_SGA ?
>
> I didn't see any changes in v$rowcache and v$sgastat
> after restarting the instance.
>
> So what will be prepaged ???

PRE_PAGE_SGA just touches all the SGA memory blocks on startup so that the OS pages them into memory, it doesn't actually do any file IO. It is supposed to make the DBMS reach best performance sooner after startup. Note also that it is not supported on some OSs

--
Alan Burlison
alanburlison_at_unn.unisys.com

My opinions may be incorrect, but they are my own.