Re: How startup orcale after instaletion?

From: Steve Hindmarch <hindmasj_at_boat.bt.com>
Date: 1996/10/31

Antonio Deus wrote:

> At this moment I have install the oracle in UNIX system. But I'm a
> beginner in this mater. To run the startup the oracle i have to access
> to the root login? Because when I try to run a server manager with
> 'svrmgrm' and I try to get access to the user sysdb in all windows say
> "Oracle not available".
>
> I appreciate someone tell me what is wrong with this.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Antonio de Deus

I do not trust these X based managers, try using the chracter based one until you get hang of it.

Login as root, ensure that the user oracle is a member of the group dba

Login as oracle.
Ensure that the following environment variables are set

ORACLE_BASE	the directory with all Oracle files in it
		eg /export/home/app/oracle
ORACLE_HOME	the directory where you installed Oracle
		eg /export/home/app/oracle/product/7.3.2
ORACLE_SID	the SID (name) of your database, eg ORCL
		(this assumes you have already created the database)
ORACLE_TERM	depends upon your terminal type. I use sun
		Setting it to $TERM may work.
PATH		ensure PATH includes $ORACLE_HOME/bin

when you are satisfied you can start the database as follows

$ svrmgrl

SVRMGR> connect internal
SVRMGR> startup
SVRMGR> exit

then you can log into the database using the command sqlplus.

I hope this helps.

--
Steve Hindmarch
tel:    +44 1473 605241,     fax:    +44 1473 621917