Re: ORA-01575 messages/slow response time

From: Srinagesh Battula <sbattula_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/10/25

David J DeWolfe wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> About 2 weeks ago my production 7.1.4 database running on a Dec Alpha 8400
> with Digital Unix 3.2d started logging ora-01575 messages (timeout waiting for
> space management resource) to the alert log. We experienced this problem a
> while back after changing % increase on our application tablespaces to get the
> free space to coalesce. The oracle documnets that deal with ora-01575 indicate
> that these messages can occur because SMON may be coalescing free space. The
> problem was resolved by changing % increase back to zero. That was a few
> months ago. We're now experiencing 01575's again. I would very much like to
> hear any advise anyone may have in regards to determining what is happening to
> cause these messages. I do have the documents "solving ORA-01575", and
> "ORA-01575 under heavy database workload" which have yet to provide a solution
> for me. Any thoughts anyone?
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
>
> --
>
> David J. DeWolfe
> Systems Programmer III
> Statewide Office of Information Services
> University of Alaska
> 907.474.7399
> sxdjd_at_orca.alaska.edu
>
> In a vicious struggle for survival intelligence emerges as the weapon of
> choice. - Nova, In Search of Human Origins

Hi!

        We are experiencing a similiar huge performance degradation on a heavy database workload in WINNT 3.51 & ORACLE 7.1.3.3.6 env. The application that we have developed runs against a LOCAL database on the same workstation.
Our Alertlog file showed the error "ORA-1575 Timeout waiting for space management
resource".

We've tried running ORACLE at high/time_critical priority but it did not make a difference.
Here is what is interesting..If start our application and LOCK the NT workstation
there is no perf.degradation at all and we do not get the error ORA-1575.         What's happening here? Why do I not see perf. degradation when I lock the
workstation.

Any insights are appreciated.

David, Would you mind e-mailing me the the documents "solving ORA-01575", and
"ORA-01575 under heavy database workload".

        Thanks,

        Nagesh Battula Received on Fri Oct 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CDT