ORA-01575 messages/slow response time

From: David J DeWolfe <sxdjd_at_orca.alaska.edu>
Date: 1996/10/22

Hi all;

About 2 weeks ago my production 7.1.4 database running on a Dec Alpha 8400 with Digital Unix 3.2d started logging ora-01575 messages (timeout waiting for space management resource) to the alert log. We experienced this problem a while back after changing % increase on our application tablespaces to get the free space to coalesce. The oracle documnets that deal with ora-01575 indicate that these messages can occur because SMON may be coalescing free space. The problem was resolved by changing % increase back to zero. That was a few months ago. We're now experiencing 01575's again. I would very much like to hear any advise anyone may have in regards to determining what is happening to cause these messages. I do have the documents "solving ORA-01575", and "ORA-01575 under heavy database workload" which have yet to provide a solution for me. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks very much in advance.

--

David J. DeWolfe
Systems Programmer III

In a vicious struggle for survival intelligence emerges as the weapon of
 choice. - Nova, In Search of Human Origins