Re: Is there a way to add a new column to a table while the table is being used for queries???

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:35:17 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 12, 11:59 pm, Harry Tuttle <OTPXDAJCS..._at_spammotel.com> wrote:
> jack_go..._at_yahoo.com, 12.01.2012 21:01:
>
> > I require the ability to add a new clob field to a database table
> > object on Oracle 10g SQL server.
> > Can I just do an
> > alter table  MyTable add column mynewfield clob;
>
> > How do I insure that users can continue to make queries on the
> > table???
>
> > I would be greatful if someone could point me to some documentation on
> > this subject of high availability in a huge partitioned data warehouse
> > type environment.
>
> I think that's what dbms_redefinition is supposed to solve.
>
> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/tables.htm#ADMI...http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14258/d_redefi.htm

Yes, except for the more than double space required makes it a bit much for a huge dw environment. Thanks for pointing it out, it should be considered anyways, because "it depends." The OP did not specify the Oracle version sufficiently.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jan/11/ces-gadgets-you-might-one-day-see-stores/