Re: Problem connecting to 10 database using SQL Developer

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 06:03:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Nov 2, 1:13 am, Ninja Li <nickli2..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I have installed Oracle 10.2 on my Windows XP laptop. The host for
> the default ORCL database in my tnsnames.ora is (HOST = 192.168.1.101)
> as I am using a LinkSys router. I have no problem connecting to the
> database using SQL*Plus or Oracle SQL Developer where I am connected
> to internet, with "hostname" setting to 192.168.1.101 in Database
> Connections in Oracle SQL Developer. However, when I am not connecting
> to my router, I couldn't connect to Oracle 10g database using SQL
> Developer but I can connect through SQL*Plus.
>
>   Could anyone tell me how I should set the host information in Oracle
> SQL Developer and why it works in SQL*Plus?
>
>   Thanks in advance.
>
>   Ning

SQL*Plus will use a default BEQUEATH protocol for local connections, which allows it to connect with or without an active internet connection and bypass the tnsnames.ora connection configuration. SQL*Developer is not designed in that fashion and thus needs a remote database to connect to. You'll need to follow the instructons here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839013

to imstall the Microsoft loopback adapter. After that you'll need to include either the default IP address for localhost (127.0.0.1) or the address you've configured for the loopback adapter during installation as a second ADDRESS mation in the tnsnames.ora file as part of the ADDRESS_LIST. Once that's done you should be able to connect to your local database with either SQL*Plus or SQL*Developer.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Nov 02 2010 - 08:03:52 CDT

Original text of this message