Re: Problem connecting to 10 database using SQL Developer

From: ddf <>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 06:03:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Nov 2, 1:13 am, Ninja Li <> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have installed Oracle 10.2 on my Windows XP laptop. The host for
> the default ORCL database in my tnsnames.ora is (HOST =
> as I am using a LinkSys router. I have no problem connecting to the
> database using SQL*Plus or Oracle SQL Developer where I am connected
> to internet, with "hostname" setting to in Database
> Connections in Oracle SQL Developer. However, when I am not connecting
> to my router, I couldn't connect to Oracle 10g database using SQL
> Developer but I can connect through SQL*Plus.
>   Could anyone tell me how I should set the host information in Oracle
> SQL Developer and why it works in SQL*Plus?
>   Thanks in advance.
>   Ning

SQL*Plus will use a default BEQUEATH protocol for local connections, which allows it to connect with or without an active internet connection and bypass the tnsnames.ora connection configuration. SQL*Developer is not designed in that fashion and thus needs a remote database to connect to. You'll need to follow the instructons here:

to imstall the Microsoft loopback adapter. After that you'll need to include either the default IP address for localhost ( or the address you've configured for the loopback adapter during installation as a second ADDRESS mation in the tnsnames.ora file as part of the ADDRESS_LIST. Once that's done you should be able to connect to your local database with either SQL*Plus or SQL*Developer.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Nov 02 2010 - 08:03:52 CDT

Original text of this message