sqlplus cannot connect to DB

From: Sashi <smalladi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:42:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
I'm trying to connect to my dataserver via sqlplus, version 10.2.0.4.0 on a Solaris 10 machine.
I'm not sure of the server version.
I can connect to this server via sql developer from my Windows laptop. But on my Solaris machine, it simply times out and asks for username again.
I tried to see if sqlplus has a debug/verbose mode but couldn't find any.

How do I try to troubleshoot this issue? I've verified that the user/ pass and server IP and port are matching on my sql developer and my tnsnames.ora on the Solaris machine. I even tried the direct connect string, without using the DB alias.

Any pointers?
TIA,
Sashi Received on Fri Jul 16 2010 - 13:42:12 CDT

Original text of this message