Re: sqlplus cannot connect to DB

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 13:19:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 16, 2:42 pm, Sashi <small..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to connect to my dataserver via sqlplus, version 10.2.0.4.0
> on a Solaris 10 machine.
> I'm not sure of the server version.
> I can connect to this server via sql developer from my Windows laptop.
> But on my Solaris machine, it simply times out and asks for username
> again.
> I tried to see if sqlplus has a debug/verbose mode but couldn't find
> any.
>
> How do I try to troubleshoot this issue? I've verified that the user/
> pass and server IP and port are matching on my sql developer and my
> tnsnames.ora on the Solaris machine. I even tried the direct
> connect string, without using the DB alias.
>
> Any pointers?
> TIA,
> Sashi

Is the Solaris machine you mention the server the database is on or just another server from which you are trying to reach the database?

In both case you would need to set your Oracle environemt correctly prior to issuing the sqlplus commmand. This would also mean an Oracle client installation would need to exist on the server.

Use an ls -ltr to make sure not sqnlet.log file is being written.

You might also want to issue a which sqlplus to see where the binary is being found. Potentially there could be a version compatiability problem if several versions of Oracle have been installed on the Sun box or if this is not the database server and the installation is old.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Jul 16 2010 - 15:19:59 CDT

Original text of this message