Re: Select statement that returns field size?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 06:08:52 -0700 (PDT)

On May 5, 2:08 pm, Maxim Demenko <mdeme..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05.05.2010 20:05, Rich wrote:
>

> > I am using 10g.
>
> > I want to do a select statement that will give me the name of the
> > fields in a table. And I also want to know the field type and field
> > size.
>
> > Can this be done?
>
> > Regards
>
> Look up in the docs dba/all/user_tab_columns data dictionary view
>
> Best regards
>
> Maxim

Besides the dba_tab_columns view that Maxim pointed out there are other language specific features available such as the OCI interface call OCIDescribeAny and the dbms_describe package. Depending on your front-end tool set a direct query may or may not be the method you want to use.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu May 06 2010 - 08:08:52 CDT

Original text of this message