Re: Toubles Storing ASCII character greater than 127

From: George K. <karabot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 06:31:24 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you guys, I meant to write a response yesterday once I found the solution but I was too tired :).

I found reading material about oracle's charsets and I run into all the different NLS options. Armed with that I was able to determine the connection options I have to setup in Perl in order to match the client with the server.

Here are a few more details on the problem: 1) I am reading from an Informix table containing zlib compressed data stored in a lvarchar.
2) I need to store them in a mirror image table without losing integrity of the data because I can no longer un-compress them.

The solution was finding an appropriate charset that will not messup the compressed data, I was only able to achive this with the WE8ISO8859P9 charset and here's how I used it:

  my $dbhOracle = DBI->connect('dbi:Oracle:'.$dbname,$user,$password,

                      {

'RaiseError' => 0,
'AutoCommit' => 0,
'PrintError' => 0,
'ora_charset'=> 'WE8ISO8859P9',
})

    || Carp::croak(DBI->errstr);

Thank you again for your help, much appreciated.

George Received on Wed Apr 21 2010 - 08:31:24 CDT

Original text of this message