Re: Toubles Storing ASCII character greater than 127

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:31:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 20, 1:32 pm, "George K." <kara..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Let me start by saying that I am new to Oracle so please excuse my
> ignorance.
>
> I have this problem whereby when I insert any characters from the the
> ASCII character set with code >= 127 Oracle seems to change its
> representation to a '?'--so when I select the data from either sqlplus
> or my program (perl using DBI) I do not get the same data I stored.
>
> My test table definition is as follows and I have tried this with both
> nvarchar2 and varchar2 with the same result.
> create table tester ( tester_id NUMBER(19,0) not null, tester_data
> varchar2(2000));
>
> Here's my NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS table for your benefit:
>
>  PARAMETER               VALUE
>  ----------------------- ----------------------------
>  NLS_LANGUAGE            AMERICAN
>  NLS_TERRITORY           AMERICA
>  NLS_CURRENCY            $
>  NLS_ISO_CURRENCY        AMERICA
>  NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS  .,
>  NLS_CHARACTERSET        AL32UTF8
>  NLS_CALENDAR            GREGORIAN
>  NLS_DATE_FORMAT         DD-MON-RR
>  NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE       AMERICAN
>  NLS_SORT                BINARY
>  NLS_TIME_FORMAT         HH.MI.SSXFF AM
>  NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT    DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM
>  NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET  AL16UTF16
>  NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT      HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZR
>  NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZR
>  NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY       $
>  NLS_COMP                BINARY
>  NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS    BYTE
>  NLS_NCHAR_CONV_EXCP     FALSE
>
> Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
>
> George

The database has a characterset as does the client. You might have the data in the daabase just fine but be unable to display it because your client character set does not support it.

What is the full database version?
What is the client version?
How did you insert the data?
With what tool are you retrieving it? On what platform?

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Apr 20 2010 - 15:31:35 CDT

Original text of this message