Re: copying tables from one database to another

From: gazzag <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 04:41:36 -0800 (PST)

On 20 Jan, 11:35, Andrew <> wrote:
> How do people copy tables from one database to another? The docs say
> that imp/exp are deprecated. I tried the copy command in sqlplus but
> it destroys the indexes and default attributes! Arrgghh.
> I have a feeling sql loader can be used to do the import but how do I
> do the export first? Obviously any export will have to produce a file
> that is suitable for use to sql loader.
> Excuse my ignorance: I am more used to sybase where you can use bcp to
> bcp-out followed by bcp-in.
> Regards,
> Andrew Marlow

What version of Oracle? A couple of suggestions:

  1. As you say, imp and exp are deprecated but have been superceded by DataPump:

2. Create a database link and CREATE TABLE AS SELECT or INSERT INTO ...over the link.

Some more ideas here:

HTH -g Received on Wed Jan 20 2010 - 06:41:36 CST

Original text of this message