Re: Blobs vs Bfile in 10g. Pros and Cons?

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 23:13:19 +0100

Rich schreef:
> On Nov 8, 2:40 pm, Shakespeare <what..._at_xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> Rich schreef:
>>
>>> Our department is uses 10g.
>>> We will be loading PDF files and/or pictures into our database.
>>> What are the pros and cons verses Bfile and Blobs. What has been your
>>> experience?
>>> Regards
>> LOBS reside inside your database, and thus are included in your backup,
>> securtity etc. Uploading will take some time.
>> BFiles are pointers to objects outside your database, and will not be
>> backed up with regular database backups. But on the other hand, are
>> easier to read/write woth tools outside the database.
>>
>> It all depends on your business requirements...
>>
>> Shakespeare

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I read that LOB's can store 4GB of data. Is that a grand total for the
> database? Or is that per record? For example, if I have 10 records in
> the database does that mean that I can have 40GB of data in the BLOB?

It's per LOB. But LOB's can be up to 128Tb since 10g. See
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14250/oci07lob.htm#i444306 But only with the OCI interface.

See also

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14249/adlob_data_interface.htm#i1012579

but that article is full of errors and looks like it's written in a hurry.

Shakespeare Received on Mon Nov 09 2009 - 16:13:19 CST

Original text of this message