Re: Blobs vs Bfile in 10g. Pros and Cons?

From: Rich <>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:45:47 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 8, 2:40 pm, Shakespeare <> wrote:
> Rich schreef:
> > Our department is uses 10g.
> > We will be loading PDF files and/or pictures into our database.
> > What are the pros and cons verses Bfile and Blobs. What has been your
> > experience?
> > Regards
> LOBS reside inside your database, and thus are included in your backup,
> securtity etc. Uploading will take some time.
> BFiles are pointers to objects outside your database, and will not be
> backed up with regular database backups. But on the other hand, are
> easier to read/write woth tools outside the database.
> It all depends on your business requirements...
> Shakespeare

Thanks for the reply.

I read that LOB's can store 4GB of data. Is that a grand total for the database? Or is that per record? For example, if I have 10 records in the database does that mean that I can have 40GB of data in the BLOB? Received on Mon Nov 09 2009 - 13:45:47 CST

Original text of this message