Re: Where to start with Oracle...

From: Sam Alex <>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 20:54:01 -0500

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 12:14 -0700, joel garry wrote:
> On Aug 14, 11:58 am, Sam Alexander <> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Hopefully this isn't a brain dead question. I've been a DBA for almost
> > 10 years, but my experience has been exclusively with MS SQL. Now I
> > hope to expand my knowledge and start learning Oracle, but I'm not sure
> > where to begin. I downloaded and installed Oracle 10g Express Edition,
> > but this seems to have lots of limitations. Should I run with the
> > downloadable version of 11g Release 1 instead?
> >
> > In the Microsoft world they offer SQL Server Developer Edition which is
> > basically the same as Enterprise Edition but only allowing a couple of
> > connections for developers to learn, and I'm looking for an equivalent
> > to this with Oracle.
> >
> > Also can someone point me to some good books or online resources that'll
> > help learn PL/SQL? I'm very fluent in TSQL, which is what MS SQL uses,
> > but I know there are plenty enough differences between the two.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments.
> >
> > Sam Alex
> Not brain-dead at all, a very positive question.
> The best way to unlearn all the misconceptions of T-SQL is to work
> through the books by Tom Kyte. No slight towards T-SQL intended, you
> just need to understand there are fundamental differences, things you
> take for granted are wrong in the larger world. See the Oracle
> Concepts manual at, especially the parts about the
> consistency model and locking. Once the light bulb goes on you may
> like the Oracle way better. Might take a couple years though :-)
> You can download EE free unfettered from free
> registration required. Read the license.
> Steven Feuerstein is the acknowledged PL expert.
> See
> jg
> --
> is bogus.

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the great information... I had already downloaded and installed the 10g Express edition, but I'm downloading Oracle Database 11g Release 1 ( now, which is like 1.7 Gigs. I assume it'll install okay on Windows XP, and I'll uninstall the 10G one.

I'll start looking through the other info you sent as well.

Thanks again and take care ---

Sam Alex Received on Fri Aug 14 2009 - 20:54:01 CDT

Original text of this message