Where to start with Oracle...

From: Sam Alexander <samalex_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 13:58:55 -0500

Hi,

Hopefully this isn't a brain dead question. I've been a DBA for almost 10 years, but my experience has been exclusively with MS SQL. Now I hope to expand my knowledge and start learning Oracle, but I'm not sure where to begin. I downloaded and installed Oracle 10g Express Edition, but this seems to have lots of limitations. Should I run with the downloadable version of 11g Release 1 instead?

In the Microsoft world they offer SQL Server Developer Edition which is basically the same as Enterprise Edition but only allowing a couple of connections for developers to learn, and I'm looking for an equivalent to this with Oracle.

Also can someone point me to some good books or online resources that'll help learn PL/SQL? I'm very fluent in TSQL, which is what MS SQL uses, but I know there are plenty enough differences between the two.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments.

Sam Alex Received on Fri Aug 14 2009 - 13:58:55 CDT

Original text of this message