Re: detecting long-running transactions?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 10:22:21 -0700 (PDT)

On May 15, 4:23 pm, m..._at_pixar.com wrote:
> Is it possible to detect long-running transactions?
>
> We would like to automatically catch the cases where some
> (for example) makes a change with Sql Developer, forgets
> to commit, and then leaves for the evening.
>
> tia!
> Mark
>
> --
> Mark Harrison
> Pixar Animation Studios

Actually, I've seen fairly common situations where they don't forget anything, but simply remaining connected results in ORA-1555 errors for other people. So I just keep a log of who's on when no one should be (OS based, since there are non-Oracle things), and kill 'em all. Of course, I actually have a time when no one should be, and I have to have an exception procedure for some things that actually do take way too long, so I consider this kind of thing site-dependent, with Mark Powell's answer perhaps the better. Maybe combined with Michel's, since I do see a few runaways. Generalizing is difficult enough, I've left it at "you die unless you tell me why I shouldn't kill you." My own stuff excepted, of course :-)

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/J_Allard_Microsoft_researchers_seek_patent_on_a_magic_wand.html