Re: How to use tnsping programmatically

From: Frank van Bortel <>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:37:48 +0200

Strange Cat _at_ Work wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I'd like to know if it is possible to use tnsping programmatically in
> order to check if Oracle server is available... I've been asked not to
> continuosly try connection and disconnection in order to save
> network/system resources.
> I will be using DotNet 2.0SP1 but any clue is welcome.
> Thanx in advance
> Paolo

Suggest you have a look at timeouts on network level, and test for those in your code.

Particularly interesting could be:
- sqlnet.expire_time (in case you last a connection while a work) - sqlnet.inbound_connect_timeout (will generate ORA-12547 or ORA-12637)

    (and specify inbound_connect_timeout_listener on the server!) - sqlnet.recv_timeout, in combination with sqlnet.send_timeout has more information

Frank van Bortel