Re: oracle sql plus - modified table column - but modification not showing in odbc connection

From: BookerT <chipw_at_mierbo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:54:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 24, 2:45 pm, Robert Klemme <shortcut..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 24.03.2009 19:20, BookerT wrote:
>
> > Inside of Oracle Sql *plus
> >   i use the commands alter table tablename
> > modify  columname varchar2(10)
> > ;
>
> > to change the field size to 10
>
> > When I open up Access to view the linked table via an odbc connection,
> > in the design view, it still shows the field  as having a field size
> > of 5.
>
> > What did I miss.
>
> Probably the refresh button in Access.
>
> > This is all tied to a web app, where, I changed all of the web forms
> > to accept 10 characters.....
>
> You have tied MS Access into a web app which also uses Oracle?  That
> sounds spooky.
>
> Your question sounds more suitable for a MS Access specific forum.  Even
> there you should probably include the version of Access.
>
> Good luck!
>
>         robert

Thanks...

no the web app is tied to oracle, but since it is an oracle databse, sometimes, I will use Access (2007) to look at the database instead of Oracle. Remember, I am just using the ODBC connection to make a link to the tables...... thast is the only use for Access........

Refresh should not be an issue because I made the change yesterday, and opened up a new conection to it today, so it should show the updated value

But I hit refresh anyway, and no change. I wanted to make sure I covered all of the oracle bases. if Oracle shows it as varchar2(10) then it should allow 10 characters correct?

Another footnote. In my web app, I put in a digit in that field that was bigger than 5 characters, but sure enough when I look at the linked table in Access, it only shows 5 characters as the field limit suggessts

Thanks Received on Tue Mar 24 2009 - 13:54:35 CDT

Original text of this message