Abort slow queries

From: Álvaro G. Vicario <alvaro.NOSPAMTHANX_at_demogracia.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:51:08 +0100

Is there any client setting to abort queries that take longer than X seconds?

I'm developing web apps written in PHP 5.2 running as Apache 2.2 module with Oracle backend (via OCI8). I'm using Oracle Instant Client 10.2 to connect with a remove Oracle 9i Server (9.2.0.1.0). Sometimes I run a poorly written or just plain wrong query while developing and the Oracle server goes berserk (99% CPU, slow responsiveness). I can hardly do anything else until it finishes the query or I ask the sysadmin to restart the service. Even restarting my own PC has no effect.

PHP has a max_execution_time but it doesn't affect external processes.