Re: Abort slow queries

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 06:32:30 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 20, 5:51 am, "Álvaro G. Vicario"
<alvaro.NOSPAMTH..._at_demogracia.com> wrote:
> Is there any client setting to abort queries that take longer than X
> seconds?
>
> I'm developing web apps written in PHP 5.2 running as Apache 2.2 module
> with Oracle backend (via OCI8). I'm using Oracle Instant Client 10.2 to
> connect with a remove Oracle 9i Server (9.2.0.1.0). Sometimes I run a
> poorly written or just plain wrong query while developing and the Oracle
> server goes berserk (99% CPU, slow responsiveness). I can hardly do
> anything else until it finishes the query or I ask the sysadmin to
> restart the service. Even restarting my own PC has no effect.
>
> PHP has a max_execution_time but it doesn't affect external processes.
>
> --
> --http://alvaro.es- Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
> -- Mi sitio sobre programación web:http://bits.demogracia.com
> -- Mi web de humor al baño María:http://www.demogracia.com
> --

Set up a resource profile which limits CPU and memory usage and associate that with the user account executing the queries. Should a query exceed the set limits it will be killed by Oracle. Start reading here

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_6010.htm#SQLRF01310

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Feb 20 2009 - 08:32:30 CST

Original text of this message