Money Data

From: Laurence <i.l.breeze_at_open.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 08:17:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi ,

I'm in the process of migrating a SQLServer database to Oracle. This is the first Oracle database I've been involved with and I'm aware that there is no money data type in Oracle. I appreciate that the columns that need to hold money will need to be number datatypes, and I notice that number(19,4) seems to crop up frequently in gateway documents.

My question is, is there any way in which the currency symbol can be retrieved with the data without needing to alter the SQL that exists now ? This will need to work irrespective of the type of program that connects to the database - UNIX/C/COBOL and VB/ASP/.NET. If it's not possible, how is the SQL altered to achieve this ?

Thanks in advance.

Laurence Received on Fri Nov 28 2008 - 10:17:18 CST

Original text of this message