Re: Money Data

From: gym dot scuba dot kennedy at gmail <>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 16:34:14 GMT

"Laurence" <> wrote in message
> Hi ,
> I'm in the process of migrating a SQLServer database to Oracle. This
> is the first Oracle database I've been involved with and I'm aware
> that there is no money data type in Oracle. I appreciate that the
> columns that need to hold money will need to be number datatypes, and
> I notice that number(19,4) seems to crop up frequently in gateway
> documents.
> My question is, is there any way in which the currency symbol can be
> retrieved with the data without needing to alter the SQL that exists
> now ? This will need to work irrespective of the type of program that
> connects to the database - UNIX/C/COBOL and VB/ASP/.NET. If it's not
> possible, how is the SQL altered to achieve this ?
> Thanks in advance.
> Laurence

It sounds like you want to alter a number to look like $xxx.xx or whatever the currency is that you desire. You can set the nls_currency for the particular connection and request the number be converted to a string to_char(field, format string) see the docs. Jim Received on Fri Nov 28 2008 - 10:34:14 CST

Original text of this message