Re: exporting datas from an Oracle db embedded in an office automation software

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 05:03:33 -0800

aarandryke_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> if the subject is a little bit cryptic, I will try to explain it
> better.
>
> A client of mine manages his business using a software based on
> an embedded distro of Oracle.
> I "suppose" it's an Oracle db because in the installation folder of
> the
> software you can see a lot of files starting with string similar to:
> Oracle, Orac, ORAC.dll and so on.
> One of them was similar to a command line terminal.
> I have no ORACLE experience.
> He needs to abandon this platform because he's having troubles with
> the software house.
> So the question is: is it possible to export all the data contained in
> the
> db without calling the service of the software house.
> The client is sure they won't give him any back up.
> Moreover the software has no backup utility (or at least no visible
> back up button or menu voice).
> On saturday I could post a screen capture of the installation folder
> so
> you could make your valid considerations.
> Thank you in advance for any suggestion, help or tutorial.
>
> Franz

Based on what little you seem to know about it there is no way to provide an answer to your question with any level of confidence.

My guess is that it can be done. But how to do it, and whether anyone has coded into the installation hardware or other specific checks, is impossible for us to know.

A good consultant could answer the question. But it may cost your client a lot of money to hear that it can not be done.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor