Re: What's a quick simple way to test Oracle connectivity between client and database server?

From: Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:48:13 +1100

Spin says...
> I am flooded with 20 projects. I do not have time to read the documents.

Although Sybrand can be abrupt if not outright abrasive, the advice from both him and David that you should take the time to read AT LEAST the core Oracle doco is absolutely correct. If you don't have the time to do so, you probably shouldn't try working with Oracle at all.

This is particularly the case as your other posting indicated a MSSQL background, and because of that I'd also strenuously recommend reading (several times!) the first couple of chapters of Tom Kyte's Oracle Expert One-On-One which succinctly highlights the key and fundamental differences between the two platforms.

I was a newbie once (well, in many ways I really still am) and gave you some latitude with my response, but ignore their advice at your real peril.

> And as to top-posting, some
> people prefer it. You don't have to scroll down to see the answer.

It's traditional UseNet etiquette to NOT top post (most notably because split responses like this one remain in context), and continuing to do so is likely to lead to otherwise potentially helpful people ignoring you in this forum.

BTW, failure to indicate your Oracle version number (to full 4 digits if specifying an error) and platform can also engender the same reaction.

> And if
> it was so bad, why did Microsoft make the Outlook Express newsreader default
> to top-posting?

Because OE is the spawn of the devil? Next you'll be saying FrontPage is a good web editing tool!

Geoff M Received on Thu Nov 06 2008 - 22:48:13 CST

Original text of this message