Re: 10g RAC using SAN for storage

From: macdba321 <macdba321_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 06:48:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 12, 9:35 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> macdba321 wrote:
> > I am testing a 2 node RAC setup and want to try using a SAN for the
> > dedicated storage (instead of a dedicated local storage disk array
> > located within the same frame).
>
> > Are there any "gotchas" that I should be aware of when using the SAN
> > for storage as opposed to a typical storage array?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> How did you use "dedicated local storage disk" and make it shared
> everything?
>
> You've said nothing of CFS or ASM or RAW. Why?
>
> The biggest potential issue with a SAN is labeling the disks used
> for the voting disk and OCR so that they are mounted in the correct
> order by the O/S.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington

Thanks for the reply.

I plan to use ASM over raw devices. (Again, this is purely for test/ learning, not a production application.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that I'll need HBAs for both nodes to connect to the same LUNs on the SAN? (There's no way to do it without the HBA is there?)

Thanks. Received on Fri Sep 12 2008 - 08:48:56 CDT

Original text of this message