Re: Options on session control in a web application

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 13:16:37 -0700 (PDT)

Shakespeare wrote:
> "Ed Prochak" <edprochak_at_gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> > Connected to:
> > Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.8.0 - 64bit Production
> > With the Partitioning and Oracle Data Mining options
> > JServer Release 9.2.0.8.0 - Production
> >
> > Showing my lack of User interface application skills here.
> >
> > We have web applications built with PL/SQL. The goal is to develop a
> > simple timing application. When the user enters the fist screen, make
> > a log entry which include the time. When they exit that screen, note
> > how they exited (e.g. OK or CANCEL button pressed) and update the log
> > with a stop time. Given the stateless nature of HTML, what's the best
> > practice to deal with this situation?
> > Use a cookie?
> > Use hidden HTML form fields?
> > Other?
> >
> > I feel so dumb.
> > ed
>
> No need to feel that way. Do your users log in? If yes, how?
>
> Shakespeare

They log in thru a .NET application. (I don't know the details, since I haven't looked at the code. For this taks, we are only tracking activity on a few screens/pages. There was some discussion about trying to close the loop on broken/abandoned sessions, but it looks like the business folks are going to just accept the possibility of log entries with a start time but no end time.

Thanks for the help.

   Ed Received on Sun Aug 03 2008 - 15:16:37 CDT

Original text of this message