Re: NLS_LANG

From: Álvaro G. Vicario <alvaroNOSPAMTHANKS_at_demogracia.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:17:25 +0200

sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl escribió:

>> Is there any way to get an unmodified output from a certain table field
>> that I know contains (or it's supposed to contain) an Euro symbol so I
>> can check with a binary editor what numeric code it's actually using?

> Earlier in this thread you specified the characterset of the database
> is WE8ISO8859P1.
> This characterset doesn't have the euro.

Despite that, it seems they did insert euros. In my web pages it displays as "¿" but through the context it's obvious it's supposed to be the euro symbol. So, no matter the actual charset, it seems their apps treat the data as MSWIN1252 or WE8ISO8859P15.

I believe I could connect as WE8ISO8859P15 and let Oracle do the conversion but if actual data does not use the charset it's supposed to, the conversion will be meaningless. I've done further testing and I'd dare say data is MSWIN1252: the only way I can see the euro symbol is connecting as WE8ISO8859P1 and then doing a client-side conversion from cp1252 to iso-8859-15 with Iconv.

Again, thank you for your hints.

--
-- http://alvaro.es - Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
-- Mi sitio sobre programación web: http://bits.demogracia.com