trouble with insert

From: <sheldonlg>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:17:47 -0400

This should be so simple, yet it is not working. I am trying to do an insert into a table where the values inserted are gathered from a select from another table. This form works:

insert into table2 (select fld1, fld2, fld3 from table1 where blah)

However, I do not want to be dependent upon the order of the fields in table2 so, I tried this:

insert into table2 (fld1, fld2, fld3) values(

   select fld1, fld2, fld3 from table1 where blah) )

This gave me a not enough values error coming from the first set of parentheses. I don't understand that error. It should not care how many fields are inserted, so long as the two sets match. Also, in this case, all the fields of table2 are named. Received on Sun Jul 13 2008 - 08:17:47 CDT

Original text of this message