Re: ufsdump output from oracle

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 09:48:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 16, 12:01 am, VDK <vdk..._at_inter.nl.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently we installed Oracle Enterprise Manager. We keep the processes
> of this tool running (so we didn't stop them with emctl), but shutdown
> the databases because we wanted to know what kind of messages were
> generated and what the effect would be on ufsdump. Ufsdump didn't
> complain.
> During the last full backup however we received the following output.
> 19570o(oracle)   10884o(oracle)    5627c(root)   25359o(oracle)
>
> Actually there were more lines, but the pattern is the same
> files we expected, were present on the tape. So it seems that the
> output is informational and does not indicate a problem.
> But we want to know were this output comes from and what it means.
> Anyone any idea?
> Oracle version: 10.2
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter

I'm not on Solaris, so I really don't know. But I'd be willing to guess those are process ID's that have open files. I think ufsdump just copies whatever is in the file, so if there is some buffer information that hasn't been written, you may not be backing up the correct information. Would those files/processes be the em you didn't shut down? Do you think restoring an improperly backed up file would be a good idea? You might try seeing which open files correspond to processes listed. Getting an incomplete log file may be a bit confusing on a restore, but other files may be more important.

It may also help to say the entire version of Oracle and the operating system you are on.

Note that the Oracle DB itself has options to back up while it is open, you can alter tablespaces specifically for this, so it knows what to do when you restore/recover. I wouldn't know about all this newfangled open source stuff.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Totally Fried Spam" http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080614/news_1n14fair.html