Re: announce: OraPIG, python wrappers for Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 10:11:06 -0700

Mark D Powell wrote:
> On May 27, 7:43 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> joel garry wrote:
>>> Yeah, one would think so, but the cdo hierarchy has suffered a lot of
>>> abuse, so pretty much anything like this, even announcing a free tool,
>>> is considered a commercial message.  Personally I would like to
>>> consider an announce such as yours OK, but I'm in the minority, and I
>>> can certainly understand the majority view.  Consider that people have
>>> attempted to spread malware in this manner, and some tools are just
>>> bogus.
>>> But I for one am glad to see tools like yours released.
>>> jg
>>> --
>>> @home.com is bogus.
>>> http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/25.16.html#subj13
>>> word: werrep
>> I am too and I hope there are more of them. But we can not post rules
>> that say "these messages are ok and these are not." So if we say "no
>> promotional messages" then we keep things black and white.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

> What is a promotion? The rule clearly states "commercial message".
> If the poster or whoever the poster represents does not sell any
> production at the referenced site then I think that an announcement of
> a free product does not quality as a commercial message.
>
> If would however have been more clear if the announcement had started
> with something like, " As a thank you to the many responders on this
> newsgroup whose responses have helped us develop a Plython Oracle call
> wrapper utility we at Pixar would like to make our utility available
> to anyone interested.
>
> The current post does read like a commercial product promotion.
>
> IMHO -- Mark D Powell --

If I announced every one of my free events here I wouldn't be selling anything. Would that be Ok? How about every vendor on the entire planet inviting people to Beta their product or get a free download? They wouldn't be selling anything either.

The point I am making is that anytime someone is not answering a question but gratuitously posts something designed to promote their product, service, whatever you and making gray that which should be black and white.

Note, for example, how Jonathan Lewis posts here. He demonstrates his value, and perhaps a very good reason to purchase his books, by answering questions. He never once starts a thread to announce a new page in his FAQ or on his website. I think the difference is clear and I think we should enforce the ethical high road.

But if you disagree please visit my website and look into the conference I am promoting for .... <g> And it is free. <G>