Re: announce: OraPIG, python wrappers for Oracle

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 16:25:28 -0700 (PDT)

On May 27, 12:14 pm, m..._at_pixar.com wrote:

> Since the message was not a commercial message or promoting
> the sale of a product or service, I didn't feel that .marketplace
> was the appropriate venue.  And, since I was especially trying
> to say thanks to the denizens of .misc, I felt this was the
> appropriate group.

Yeah, one would think so, but the cdo hierarchy has suffered a lot of abuse, so pretty much anything like this, even announcing a free tool, is considered a commercial message. Personally I would like to consider an announce such as yours OK, but I'm in the minority, and I can certainly understand the majority view. Consider that people have attempted to spread malware in this manner, and some tools are just bogus.

But I for one am glad to see tools like yours released.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/25.16.html#subj13