Streams advice

From: Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:30:48 +1000

Sorry for the repost, but got zero replies to this post when first sent a couple of weeks ago, and would really appreciate and advice or pointers ...

Hi all,

First of all - IANADBA. I'm just a developer / project manager.

Oracle 10.2.0.3 RAC cluster on Intel Linux, ASM on a SAN.

We have a series of instances on our RAC cluster, some of which support largish 3rd party applications and some "developed in-house" including an embrionic MIS DW.

Several of these need to exchange data, and currently this is being achieved using a mix of bulk overnight partial copies and (near real-time, some delay acceptable) table triggers.

I am keen to investigate the option of shifting to a consolidated approach using Oracle Change Data Capture (aka Streams).

At some stage in the future we are also unfortunately likely to need to add a MSSQL database (via Heterogenous Replication?) to this mix.

I've read (and absorbed a fraction of) the Oracle Streams Replication Administrator's Guide, and think that the configuration option that will best suit our needs is "Asynchronous AutoLog archive" mode.

Can any Streams-savvy people provide any general advice as to whether I'm heading down the right or wrong path?

TIA Geoff M Received on Sun May 18 2008 - 19:30:48 CDT

Original text of this message