Re: Streams advice

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 21:09:14 +0200

Geoff Muldoon wrote:
> Sorry for the repost, but got zero replies to this post when first sent a
> couple of weeks ago, and would really appreciate and advice or pointers
>
> Hi all,
>
> First of all - IANADBA. I'm just a developer / project manager.
>
> Oracle 10.2.0.3 RAC cluster on Intel Linux, ASM on a SAN.
>
> We have a series of instances on our RAC cluster, some of which support
> largish 3rd party applications and some "developed in-house" including an
> embrionic MIS DW.
>
> Several of these need to exchange data, and currently this is being
> achieved using a mix of bulk overnight partial copies and (near real-time,
> some delay acceptable) table triggers.
>
> I am keen to investigate the option of shifting to a consolidated approach
> using Oracle Change Data Capture (aka Streams).
>
> At some stage in the future we are also unfortunately likely to need to
> add a MSSQL database (via Heterogenous Replication?) to this mix.
>
> I've read (and absorbed a fraction of) the Oracle Streams Replication
> Administrator's Guide, and think that the configuration option that will
> best suit our needs is "Asynchronous AutoLog archive" mode.
>
> Can any Streams-savvy people provide any general advice as to whether I'm
> heading down the right or wrong path?
>
> TIA
>
> Geoff M

What's wrong with table triggers (and obviously, database links)? One stop further, materialized views - possibly with refresh on commit. Only then (two stops further, one stop extra would be Advanced Replication) comes Streams. There's quite a lot of overhead in Streams, so make sure you stress test (when going with Streams) in a production-like setup.

Frank Received on Mon May 19 2008 - 14:09:14 CDT

Original text of this message