Re: oracle 9i: errors by clone a DB by a script

From: joel garry <>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:29:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 29, 1:00 am, Andreas Mosmann <> wrote:

> I come along with oracle but in my opinion it must be allowed to wish
> things that still doesn't exist. And I am sure that I am not the only
> one with these wishes. Maybe there will be a version where the
> enterprise manager has a button "Clone a DB" and if you start it will
> ask you the following questions:
> - server?
> - sys/system - passwords?
> - shrink db?
> - delete existing db?
> and all the other information concerning operation system, installed
> oracle version/patchlevel and whatever it finds out itself.
> Dream a little dream ...

I see some of that on EM for under Clone Database... I seem to recall the patch level stuff is a new feature, I for one tend to avoid new features.

But really, aren't these DBA tasks?

> 1.) I can work with sql*plus. And I also can undress me with a knife.
> But both seems to me not really useful if there are better ways (and
> there are)

Depends on the requirements. Undressing with knives sounds pretty exciting for some requirements.

I thought the part of The Illustrated Man movie where they all had the
same dream, very disturbing.