Re: Charset problem / PHP

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 9 Apr 2008 12:16:48 -0800

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Jens_M=FCller?= (usenet-11-2007_at_tessarakt.de) wrote:
: Álvaro G. Vicario schrieb:
: > "Jens Müller" <usenet-11-2007_at_tessarakt.de> escribió en el mensaje
: > news:663o57F2iirkdU1_at_mid.individual.net...
: >> Oracle SQL developer correctly shows the text, but when I access the DB
: >> with a PHP script, "emil-gött-straße" becomes "emil-gott-stra?e". Is there
: >> a possibility to fix this with a function call or similiar in the PHP
: >> script, without changing the webserver or database setup?
: >
: > You have two pure PHP options:
: >
: > 1. Convert from DB charset to script charset. Have a look at iconv().

: Any hint how to find out the DB charset first?

SELECT USERENV('LANGUAGE') FROM DUAL select DUMP(column_name) can also be useful.

If you start with data saved on a disk, then DOS debug, or unix od is useful to examine what unmolested byte values you were starting out with.

I have no suggestion for how to examine the binary byte-level values of the data while you are manipulating it with php, but it would be good to figure out how to dump that out to confirm the data inside your php program has not been molested by some unexpected conversion. Received on Wed Apr 09 2008 - 15:16:48 CDT

Original text of this message