Re: Algorithm to create an encrypted Oracle password

From: news.verizon.net <kennedyii_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 10:41:56 GMT

"Norbert Pürringer" <thalion77_at_graffiti.net> wrote in message news:32f18475-513d-434b-8c76-fe9eca8ceb3a_at_a23g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
> Hello there,
>
> do you know an algorithm for me, which is able to encrypt passwords,
> which are compatible Oracle passwords? There is a maximum length
> limitation in Oracle (30 chars) and the algorithm should not produce
> an encrypted password longer than 30 characters, if the clear text
> password is less than or equals 30 characters. The best algorithm for
> me would be one, which always creates an encrypted password with a
> length of 30 characters.
>
> I need the algorithm for a C# (.NET) application.
>
> Thank you,
> Norbert

Oracle does not encrypt the password. It creates a hash. When you log in it hashes what you supply as a password and compares that with what is stored. Why do you need to know the hash algorithum for Oracle? There are plenty of good ones publicaly available. Jim Received on Wed Apr 09 2008 - 05:41:56 CDT

Original text of this message