Re: Visual Query tools for Oracle?

From: <vitalisman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 01:16:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 18, 7:45 pm, "rogergor..._at_gmail.com" <rogergor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2:31 pm, vitalis..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>

> > On 17 mar, 12:28, anvi..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > Well, I just lost another 2 hours this morning trying to find a visual
> > > query tool for Oracle that has reasonable performance and user
> > > friendliness.
> > > I tested FlySpeed SQL Query (freeware), Maestro Oracle code factory
> > > (trial) and my standard tool Toad 9 (commercial product).
> > > In my opinion none of the three does a good job. The first two make a
> > > ridicolous use of memory that makes them totally unusable with large
> > > databases.
> > > Toad is much better at that, but the interface to create and execute
> > > queries using the "Query Builder" tool is a pain in the neck.
>
> > > Is it possible that a good visual query tool for Oracle just doesn't
> > > exist? Don't tell me that real professionals don't use graphic tools,
> > > I have been designing database applications for 30 years but I still
> > > appreciate the speed of a good graphical interface.
>
> > > Any suggestions about existing tools are welcome, but please make sure
> > > that they are capable of working with large databases (hundred of
> > > tables and terabytes of data).
>
> > > Andrea
>
> > Have you given a try to the chart functionality of Oracle Apex?- Hide quoted text -

> I like SQLDeveloper.
>
> It's free from Oracle, and works in both Windows and *nix
> environments. (I've used it in both XP and Centos4.5(RH4.5 clone).
> Also correctly handles nested cursor information, sqlnavigator
> couldn't do that.

Thanks for the tip, Roger. I hadn't paid much attention to the chart report functionality of SQL Developer so far.

I've just tried to draw a chart for "select object_type,count(*) from all_objects group by object_type having count(*)>500" with chart type "BAR_VERT_CLUST" but I just get a blank chart with the ojbect types at the bottom, the counts in a margin with associated colors, but no colored bars at all.

Any idea? I'm ashamed but I have to admit that I haven't really read the f* manual. ;-)

Jerome Received on Wed Mar 19 2008 - 03:16:30 CDT

Original text of this message