Re: can not insert a new row in a table, unique constraint violated.

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 08:56:24 -0700 (PDT)

Comments embedded.
On Mar 10, 10:38 am, vijaysam <vsamb..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I can not insert a row in a table called duct_connectivity.
>
> when I try to it says.. unique constraint prd.dctconrb `violated.

And you have at the very least a UNIQUE index on that table.

> not I found out there was no conatraint by this name on the table.
>
> but there was a index on the table by this name.

As I said, it's a UNIQUE index.

> what is happening here.. what is the solution?

You've tried to insert a 'key' value which already exists in the table. You cannot do that with a unique index in place. This is covered in the Concepts Guide, which you should be reading.

> regards
>
> Vijay

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Mar 10 2008 - 10:56:24 CDT

Original text of this message