Re: Sequence Numbers Jumping

From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 05:23:08 -0800 (PST)

On 5 Marts, 13:36, Flash Gordon <s..._at_flash-gordon.me.uk> wrote:
> We are migrating an application from Oracle 9 to Oracle 10. The
> application uses several sequence objects for user visible sequences.
> For some reason on Oracle 10 the sequences are jumping. I've checked
> that the sequences are defined as ordered and tried disabling the
> caching (a desperation measure as I don't believe it could be that).
>
> Any suggestions as to what could be causing this in Oracle 10 when it
> did not occur in Oracle 9? Any suggestions as to how to investigate this
> as I am new to Oracle?
> --
> Flash Gordon

You can check my paper The curse of gapless sequences at http://gplivna.eu/papers/gapless_sequences.htm for my thoughts about gapless sequence requirements as such and ways to achieve that and why built in Oracle Sequences cannot be used for such requirement.

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu Received on Thu Mar 06 2008 - 07:23:08 CST

Original text of this message