Re: Access as Front End for Oracle

From: news.verizon.net <kennedyii_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:48:30 GMT

"SePp" <C_o_z_m_o_at_gmx.de> wrote in message news:25171216-d3ac-45f7-a940-24f1a0ca096c_at_t66g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking for the pro's and con's for an MS Access Application which
> has an Oracle backend (Oracle Express).
> Especially how it is about the auto commit ( I believe it is off ),
> the
> multi user security and the speed of the application.
>
> I know Oracle is very good with multiple users but how is it when I
> use MS Access as Frontend.
> Is it still good, with the ODBC Connection and the linked tables?
>
> What is about the ODBC connection. This slows the queries extremely
> down, doesn't it?
>
> Very much thanks in advance!
>
> Kind regards,
> SePp

ODBC connection isn't slow. (Oracle doesn't have an auto commit mode.) What is slow is poorly written applications. If you don't use bind variables and you write crappy code then it will be slow. If you use bind variables and effecient code the it won't. Jim Received on Wed Feb 27 2008 - 06:48:30 CST

Original text of this message