Re: Access as Front End for Oracle

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 00:20:30 -0800

SePp wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm looking for the pro's and con's for an MS Access Application which
> has an Oracle backend (Oracle Express).
> Especially how it is about the auto commit ( I believe it is off ),
> the
> multi user security and the speed of the application.
> I know Oracle is very good with multiple users but how is it when I
> use MS Access as Frontend.
> Is it still good, with the ODBC Connection and the linked tables?
> What is about the ODBC connection. This slows the queries extremely
> down, doesn't it?
> Very much thanks in advance!
> Kind regards,
> SePp

MS Access is not a front-end and it is not a relational database.

If you want to front-end an application think JDeveloper or .NET or PHP or any number of other possible tools.

If want reports think Discoverer, Siebel Analytics, Crystal, Hyperion, etc.

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group