Re: Oracle Streams - worth it?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:40:09 +0100

Isaac Blank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are evaluating different ways for a one-way replication from one
> database to another. Additional requirement is, pat of replicated data
> (detail rows only) should be updateable. Currently, we use materialized
> views with refresh jobs running every minute. An insert trigger on the
> master table's snapshot creates a queue entry for each replicated row.
> Later, an asyncronous job goes through the queue and pulls detail rows
> via database link. This has worked fine so far, but we started thinking
> of creating multiple replicas (each of them would only recieve a portion
> of the overall data), and we're afraid that materilized view maintenance
> overhead in the master database will become too taxing.

Eh? MV's are on the slave side, the master has MV log tables and triggers. Unless you have written your own replication mechanism, you describe advanced replication.
Oracle can do horizontal as well as vertical partitioned replication.

> One of the possibilities we're looking at is Oracle Streams, but I
> have heard some allegations that it is inherently slow because it uses
> AQ as transport mechanism.

Consider it, especially if you're on 10G. In 9iRel2 it was (still) buggy, and I had better results with AdvRep. Have not done serious testing with 10G

> So my question is, is it worth considering Oracle Streams for really
> high load, almost mission-critical application? The lag time should not
> exceed few minutes to fulfill some of our Service Level Agreements.

That has nothing to do with high load. If you're talking several thousands to millions of transactions per second, I'd be worried about your setup (replicate data near real time), too. Independent of technology.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting in UseNet newsgroups is one way to shut me up