Oracle Streams - worth it?

From: Isaac Blank <izblank_removethis__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 02:22:48 GMT

Hi,

    We are evaluating different ways for a one-way replication from one database to another. Additional requirement is, pat of replicated data (detail rows only) should be updateable. Currently, we use materialized views with refresh jobs running every minute. An insert trigger on the master table's snapshot creates a queue entry for each replicated row. Later, an asyncronous job goes through the queue and pulls detail rows via database link. This has worked fine so far, but we started thinking of creating multiple replicas (each of them would only recieve a portion of the overall data), and we're afraid that materilized view maintenance overhead in the master database will become too taxing.

    One of the possibilities we're looking at is Oracle Streams, but I have heard some allegations that it is inherently slow because it uses AQ as transport mechanism.

    So my question is, is it worth considering Oracle Streams for really high load, almost mission-critical application? The lag time should not exceed few minutes to fulfill some of our Service Level Agreements.

    Also, what other alternatives should ve consider - be it Oracle or third party products? I know we bought a Shareplex license a while ago (not sure if it's still valid, but we might renew it if it's worth it)

Thanks in advance,

Isaac Blank Received on Tue Feb 05 2008 - 20:22:48 CST

Original text of this message